This place derived its name by the word “Pagbangkeruan”which means a place of ferrying both people and vehicles.  It was once named “Vuling” which in English means blind.  Because Gullac Lake found in its Northeastern portion was a blind lake.  The first settlers were the DURANTES and the TAYAMS.  They were soon joined by the Ballinans, Enriquez and the Talosigs.  These people made a bamboo raft to ferry people for a fee.  These men maintained their ferry service until the construction of the National Highway from Ilocos to Cagayan.  When they built a big wooden ferry boat, they were employed permanent bangkeros for ferrymen, from then on, they called the place PAGBANGKERUAN which evolved to ABBANGKERUAN.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: San Isidro/ May 21-22

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and livestock raising

Barangay Captain: JAIME JADRAQUE

Barangay Councilors: Ernesto Cabuyadao Jr., Jovito Ibay, Benedicto Durante, Jay Alegado, Daisy Bandala, Alex Ermitano, Luis Decena

Barangay Treasurer: Victorino Bautista Jr.

Barangay Secretary: Marietes Ermitanio

Day Care Worker: Alma Ramos

According to elders in this barangay, mostly now the so called Senior Citizens, this place was primarily a sitio of Bidduang which was then a huge barangay.  Everyone had to go to Bidduang for their schooling in the elementary grades; everyone had to walk quite a distance for meetings; everyone had to travel that far for emergencies and other services needed.

               Those were just few reasons why the late Exiquiel G. Liban, Sr. gave the nerves and guts to initiate the separation of the sitio from Barangay Bidduang.

               Allasitan then became a barangay and got its name from an Ibanag word “lasi”, shrimps in English, because there were lots of it in this place.

               The late Exiquiel G. Liban, Sr. then became the first “Tenyente del Bario” (Punong Barangay) of Barangay Allasitan.

               Barangay Allasitan then had its own School, auditorium, market, and Barangay Hall to name a few.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: Every 11th day of May

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and livestock raising, Nipa shingle making

Brgy. Captain: REY AGPULDO

Barangay Councilors: Arnold Figuracion, Ronald Ursua, Eduardo Yague, Gertrudes Porillo, Abdel Fronda, Bonifacio Porillo

Barangay Treasurer: Charlie Catidday

Barangay Secretary: Deyson Marquez

Day Care Worker: Marlyn Udasco

And it came to pass, that there was once a gallant young Spanish adventurer who was very fund of horseback riding. He travelled from one place to another riding on his favorite horse, in one of his journeys, he came across a forested area, it was a very hot day so he decided to rest awhile under the shade of a very robust tree laden with big beautiful yellow flowers.

               Nearby was a group of farmers who too were resting under one of the trees.

               As he was tying his horse to a branch of a tree, the Spanish asked the farmers “que nomibre este publo”  which means “what is the name of this place?” no one dared to answer him, for it’s a fact during those days communication with people from other places  most especially with foreigners was impossible except by sign or body language, “que nombre este pueblo” he repeated, the farmers thinking that the gallant adventurer was asking for the name of the tree whose branch he was tying his horse.

               This time the farmers answered almost simultaneously “BAGU”!

               The Spaniards upon hearing this nodded his head, repeating, Bagu, Bagu, Bagu, Bagu!

               From that time on, the inhabitants called the place Barangay BAGU.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: San Isidro/May

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and Livestock raising

Brgy. Captain: RICHARD TORINO

Barangay Councilors: Pablo Dalo, Joseph Torino, Imelda Pablo, Henry Pasillaban, Jerry Cabalang, Joel Tenorio

Barangay Treasurer: Sherlyn Delelis

Barangay Secretary: Christian Kristel Suguitan

Day Care Worker: Mary Jane Garperio

During the early days, the place known BALINGIT was an inhabited area.  Stories regarding this place claim that the earliest inhabitants were ethnic groups known as Itneg and Kalinga who were living with lifestyles similar to that of the characters of the famous Ilocano epic “BIAG NI LAM-ANG”.

               Since the ethnic groups were of two different tribes, a clash between them was inevitable, if only to prove which of them was “maingel”(warrior).  In the ensuing tribal war, the Kalingga’s were led by a certain Quisad Biri, who was reported to have anting-anting (amulet).  On the other hand, the Itnegs were led by a pregnant woman who was also reported to have an anting-anting.

               After a bloody skirmish between the two tribes, the kalingas proved victorious killing in the process the leader of the Itnegs who eventually had to flee to another area.  Having settled in another area, they called their farmer settlement “BALUNET”(lock).

               After sometime, a group of Ilocanos from Sinait, Ilocos Sur who were figitives sought refuge in the area.  Noticing that the place was rich in material resources, they decided to settle.  As they were fugitives, they changed their family names to hide from the law.  The family names Basilica, Gascon, and Ilacas became Basilio, Duperia and Ilac, respectively.

               After the Second World War, the population of the place rapidly grew.  The name BALUNET as the place was originally called evolved into BALINGIT.

                Its first known leaders were Minong Burgos (1955-59), Gregorio Cabulisan (1960-63), who were then called Tinyente del Bario together with Assistant Tinyente Processo Ojano who were elected by viva voce.

               In the succeeding barangay election in 1963 through secret balloting, the incumbent was defeated by Efifanio Pesca who held the highest Barangay elective post for twelve years (12).

               It was during these years that the barangay was infiltrated by the rebels and so to save his life, he went for vacation.  Saturnino Burgos took over as Officer in Charge in 1986 but unluckily he was taken by the rebels.  Clemente Pagarigan, the next barangay councilor took his post as OIC in 1986-1987.

               In 1987, Edgardo Monroy was elected barangay Captain.  He led the barangay up to 1997.  Rodrigo Biri came out victorious in the two consecutive Barangay Election (1997-2008), and Rogelio Pesca led the barangay in the year 2008-2010.

               At present, Nestor M. Padua is the Barangay Captain.  He continued the projects of the past administration.  He also have lots of projects implemented and to be implemented. Balingit at present is a growing and developing barangay of the municipality.  It has also produced professionals.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Day: June 12

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and Livestock raising

Brgy. Captain: NESTOR PADUA

Barangay Councilors: Flora Monroy, Jaymar Reyes, Valentin Ilac, Romeo Arabaca, Glory Sadama, Reynaldo Pagarigan, Ma. Theresa Rocena

Barangay Secretary: Warlito Miranda

Barangay Treasurer: Jonaida Ilustrado

Day Care Worker: Martina Tablac

Verdant and vast areas of natural resources are found in Northern part of Municipality of Pamplona. It is bounded on north by the Bangan River, south by the Maharlika Highway, East by the flowing river of San Juan and west by the rice fields of Allasitan .

               Long long ago one third (1/3) of the place were planted with bananas. Most settlers were industrious fishermen for fishing was only their means of livelihood. The trunks/stalks of bananas “AVAK” were used in indirecting the small fishes called “IFUN” to their fishing gear made by fine bamboos called “VUVU”.

               During season of these fishes they call the fishermen to gather banana stalks/trunks in CAVAGGAN meaning a place where there are abundant of these stalks/trunks. The Ibanag settlers call it CAVAGGAN but the Ilocanos don’t  use the letter “V” they changed it to “B” and pronounced it “CABAGGAN”.

               Cabaggan is known to be a place of hospitable people, containing an area of 1,812,779 sq.meter. The rivers are still abundant with fishes and crabs. Some people are engaged in nipa wine making,vinegar, nipa shingle making. It has large hectares of nipa land that made Cabaggan popular for having a Regional Training Center on Community –Based Bioethanol Production which is the first of each kind in the country.

               A way of thanksgiving and showing that is religious community its yearly celebration in honor of the Patron Saint, San Roque de Monfelier. Continous improvements are going on with the support of the different agencies from the National down to Barangay.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Day:  August 16/Patron Saint, San Roque de Monfelier

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and Livestock raising, Nipa wine making, Nipa Shingle making

Brgy. Captain: CRISANTA LEANO

Barangay Councilors: Jocelyn Zimara, Dindo Talosig, Conchita Miserali, Faustino Cercano Sr. Brigido Arinabo, Michael Tabia, Florielyn Manalo

Barangay Treasurer: Sharon Cenal

Barangay Secretary: Elizabeth Tabia

Day Care Worker: Glory Barogga

Capalalian was once only a sitio of the barrio of Casitan and was made only a barrio in the early 1950’s.

               The first inhabitants of the place were immigrants from the Ilocos Region.  Thesed industrious people who were in search of fertile lands to till settled in the sitios of Malaram, Guingay, and Mataguisi, sitios which are now part of either Casitan or Capalalian.

               During the Spanish time, the Spaniards travelling from place to place to befriend the inhabitants came upon the place now known Capalalian.  They saw a man resting under the shade of a tree with beautiful flowers and round shape fruit.  They asked the man by sign language for the name of the tree and he answered back “palali”. Travelling further inward, up to Guingay, Malaram and Mataguisi they noticed that everywhere they went, the same tree was growing in abundance.  The name Capalalian was given to the place because of the abundance of Palali trees in the area.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: May 8

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and Livestock raising

Brgy Captain: ESTRELITA TEMPORAL

Barangay Councilors: Herman Manzano, Alfredo Rasalan, James Bautista, Romeo Mallabo, Wilfredo Bautista, Leonid Javier, Odilyn Marumi

Barangay Treasurer: Jansen Salvador

Barangay Secretary: Roxanne Inay

Day Care Worker: Crishel Retotal

One day, two hunters from the town of Pamplona went hunting for wild animals. In the process of hunting, they found a place where game and birds were plentiful. Realizing that they can earn a good living by hunting, they brought their families to the place and erected their houses.

               As they had no knowledge of the place, they gave it the name CASITAN because of the presence of many thorny bushes and weeds in the area. In the dialect thorn means “SI”. Other hunters learn of the place and they also settled in the area. When the population increased, the people build school house, the first teacher being Manuela Romero. The people lived by farming, poultry and livestock raising and hunting wild animals.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: May 29 / Patron Saint-San Vicente Ferrer

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and Livestock raising

Brgy Captain: ALBERTO PAGARIGAN

Barangay Councilors: Jerry Cardenas, Mary Ann Taguba, Llyod Pagarigan, Hernaldo Pagarigan, Conrado Dancil, Rolando Ignacio, Benedicto Bautista

Baranggay Secretary: Nestor Tabao

Barangay Treasurer: Gregorio Dancil

Day Care Worker: Gladys Ignacio

It was perhaps destined by fate, coupled with an inherent belief in superstition that the town proper of the municipality of Pamplona would be situated where it is now.

Existing local folklore has it that the fate not intervened, the town proper should have been what the barangay Tabba is now. According to such folklore, “Bayot”, a mighty chieftain living along the foot of the mountains upstream of Pamplona River was on his way to wed his girlfriend and make Tabba a town. While traversing the Pamplona River, along the banks of Pigo, he heard a chirping bird locally known as “talatta”. According to superstition, this bird was a harbinger of either good or bad luck on its chirping. It chirps joyfully, it was a sign of good luck but if the chirping is melancholy, it is a sign of bad luck.

As this “talatta” was chirping joyfully at that particular instant, “Bayot” realizing that it was a sign of good luck, docked his boat then and there, took out his spear, and threw it into air towards the land. The spear allegedly landed on the exact spot where the main altar of the centuries- old church of the town is now situated.

Resting along the river bank with a bog rock for a pillow and taking stock of the serene surroundings, he said that this will be a town where love will forever abound. And so it came to be, that the town proper of Pamplona would be situated in this destined place and which at the present is composed of the barangays of Centro and Masi.

Barangay Capatain: Alicia Banham

Barangay Councilors: Marino Bangalan, Jessie Jesus Andres, Rosalie Florendo, Hector Borromeo, Glory Aquino, Pergrina Ilican, Albert Santos

Barangay Treasurer: Marie Hazeline De Los Trinos

Day Care Worker: Leila Marumi

During the American regime, this vast forest land was already inhabited by our grandparents and to mention some of them are Teodoro Tagoc, Filemon and Santiago Rambayon, Saturnino and Hilario Perdido, Crispulo Juan, Agamanos, Calpito and Carino respectively.  This group of people tried best to open this virgin forest until they were able to plant something and convert into rice fields, residential lots, pasturelands and others.

               According to history, the name of this community was Dugiao, Malubeg, Abulug, Cagayan but is was separated from the town of Abulug when Claro Sabbun lost his Congressional seat because the people of Pamplona did not support him.  After some years had passed, the name was change to San Vicente Tagoc who was elected as the first President of Neighborhood Association, the smallest political unit during that time.  After the administration of Vicente Tagoc, Crispulo Juan was elected as the first Tiniente del Barrio succeeded by Juanito Juan and Justo Bielza.  It was during this period that this place was named CURVA in honor of a group of families namely Crispulo Juan, Umblas, Rambayon, Viloria and Acosta.  Emilio Manding was the first Barrio Captain elect through the support of a rich Spaniards by the name Arturo A. Nieto who was a naciendero.  Then later also work hard for the establishment of the 115th P.C. headquarters which was erected in 1954 with Captain Mariano Inovejas as the first Commanding Officer succeeded by Captain Camayang and Captain Catalan respectively.  Mr. Arturo A. Nieto did not stay long in this place because he sold his property to the Congressman Hon. David M. Puzon.  An active military man Paulo Olivar Sr. who served for three consecutive terms succeeded by Emilio Manding.  Oliver worked hard for the construction of the Curva Elementary School through the proceeds of barrio fiesta.  Ponciano Materum succeeded Olivar.

               During his incumbency, he constructed the Barrio Public Market in which land was donated by Mr. Marcos Paa and the Barangay Recreational Center with a hall.  Santiago Tangonan succeeded Materum.  Santiago Tangonan did not finish his term because he went to Hawaii to seek for a greener pasture.  Jovencita Garcia Puzon was elected as Barangay Captain and at the same time, elected as ABC President of Pamplona. Mr. Romeo T. Puzon succeeded his wife and served for 3 consecutive terms. Hon. Anacleto A. Acosta, the tree termed first Kagawad during the administration of Mr. Puzon was elected as Barangay Captain and now presently making outstanding changes in the Barangay.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: May 29 / Patron Saint-San Vicente Ferrer

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing, Poultry and Livestock raising

Brgy. Captain: ROMEO PUZON

Barangay Councilors: Edwin Tabula Jr., Paulo Olivar Jr., Conrado Juan, Yolanda Orlanda, Elizar Ubias, Pio Tabao, Bernabe Orlanda

Barangay Treasurer: Carmencita Bielza

Barangay Secretary: Marjorie Concepcion

Day Care Worker: Edmar Guillermo        

As per records of Cagayan, it was in May 20, 1572 that a Spanish fleet headed by Juan Salcedo visited the Northern part of Luzon with only seventeen (17) soldiers.  They entered in PATA (now part of Claveria) and tried to make their way down to Masi River (now called Pamplona River) but did not succeed.

               Succeeding the expedition of Don Juan Salcedo in 1572 was the establishment of Economienda” in 1590 at the places visited by Salcedo and appointed Don Juan Fernandez Najera as the Encomiendero.  In 1595, missionary priests headed by Rev. Fr. Miguel de San Jacinto were sent to Ecomienda and practically spread to different places such as Cabicuna (now Claveria), Bangan which is part of Sanchez Mira, and in Masi (now called Pamplona).  The construction of the historical church in Masi was started in 1614 and was completed in 1617.  In 1893, one Carlos Borromeo from Iguig married someone from Masi after his appointment as gobernadocillo and his term lasted for fifty one (51) years.  Later on Masi was unified and separated from Claveria and Sanchez Mira.

From here, Masi was named Pamplona and have identified eighteen (18) barangays to form the municipality and Zimigui-Ziwanan is one of them.  As per Republic Act 4119 and Executive Order No. 690 by Joseph P. Hayden. Acting Governor General; The act separating Zimigui-Ziwanan from the District of Luna, sub- Province of Apayao, Mountain Province and merged with the Municipality of Pamplona, Province of Cagayan was approved on December 8, 1933 and the date of transfer took place on former name of the Municipality of Pamplona.  It is recorded that it was Dr. Eustaquio I. Aquino, a Doctor of Philosophy by profession who hails from Zimigui-Ziwanan who headed the Barangay Officials the barangay to change its name to Masi on January 1, during the incumbency of the late ex-mayor Anselmo N. Galano as Municipal Mayor of the town Pamplona.  From then, Barangay Zimigui-Ziwanan was renamed Masi up to the present time.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: The Patronal Town Fiesta is celebrated every 29th day of April.

Dialect: Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing

Brgy Captain: ANITA SAMPAGA

Barangay Councilors: Joel Zimara, Regim Cabalang, Renie Mabbatung, Julio De Guzman,                Lolitha Marumi, Dominica Salvador, Calixto De Guzman

Barangay Treasurer: Diana Tee

Barangay Secretary: Heidyliza Bautista

Day Care Worker: Corazon Cabudol

Stories on how the place got its name is traced back to the history of its mother barangay Balingit.  It is narrated that a certain missionary was harmed by the early inhabitants of Balingit.  The harmed missionary managed to escape, but days later, his dead body was found by the natives in the area now known as Nagattatan. In start, they named this place Nagattatan because this is where the one as the captive man loss his last breathed.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: Our Lady of Piat  (July 4)

Dialect: Ilokano

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing

Brgy Captain: RODOLFO BACUD

Barangay Councilors: Medarlo Panergo, Manuel Lucas Adolfo, Dominador Tabian, Honorio Olivas, Jarman Caoagas, Maribeth Viloria, Wilmer Pesca

Barangay Secretary: Ludivina Olivas

Barangay Treasurer: Emarose Viloria

Day Care Worker: Shirley Caoagas

Nagtupacan is a barrio situated along the riverbank at the mouth of Pamplona River.  While inhabitants mainly on fishing for their chief means of livelihood, some of them are also engaged in farming.

               Nagtupacan was once a sitio of Cabaggan, however, through ka petition of the inhabitants through the leadership of Rafael Madriaga (decease) it was made an independent barrio.

               During the early times, this place was known as Pinili, Minanga, San Juan. How its name turn into Nagtupacan runs this way:

              

               A wedding ceremony had just been solemnized, after the wedding rites, the “GALA-GALA” was  followed. “GALA-GALA” is a part of merry making  where in relatives of both parties try to outdo each other in offering gifts, mostly money, to the newlyweds supposedly for them to use to start life as a couple.  During those times, however, “GALA-GALA” was known to the old folks of the place as “TUPAK” which literarily translated into dropping or laying down as object heavily on the ground or any surface.  As the currency in circulation then was mostly coins, the people dropped their gifts near the place where the newlyweds are dancing, hence the term “TUPAK”.

               On this particular “GALA-GALA”OR “TUPAK”, a big amount was pooled so the people most especially the newlyweds were very happy.  As a result, one of the old man in the gathering said, “Panaganan tayo daytoy nga lugar iti “NAGTUPACAN”(let’s call this place Nagtupacan). From then on up to this time, the place is known as “NAGTUPACAN”.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: San Roque (June 29)

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Fishing, Nipa shingle making, Nipa wine making

Brgy Capt: JESUSA RODRIGUEZ

Barangay Councilors: Violeta Torres, Claro Maquiraya, Dennis Maquiraya, Manuel Palma, Martin Rodriguez, Reynaldo Madriaga, Dina Torres

Barangay Treasurer: Nita Orus

Barangay Secretary: Merly Montenegro

Day Care Worker: Mary Jane Maquiraya

History of the town Pamplona is originally composed of Claveria, Sanchez Mira, Pata, Cabicungan, Masi, Sto. Domingo, San Juan or Abulucan wherein Pamplona was the mother town.

               The first town as in the third world of D. Vicente Nepomoceno Y. Siriban in the year 1919 reveals that the first town was Pata, Cabicungan and Masi. Near Masi was Abulucan which is in between Masi and Nalugui. The mission house is in the town of Bangan.

               August 1755 – the consensus decision of the people was to transfer the seat to Abulucan which is in between Masi and Bangan. When they were deciding as to who will be the Patron Saint of the new town, San Juan Nepomoceno came out.  So on August 1756, they transferred the people to the new town Abulucan.  Because of the proximity of Masi and Abulucan (San Juan) the majority decided that both will only be ruled by one Gobernadorcillo.

               The alleged plotted death of the Parish priest of Pata caused the defacing of the town Pata.  It was believed that the priest requested the people to carry him to Masi but because of their grudge, they threw him into the river.  The incident caused the transfer of Pata to Abulucan (San Juan) which became the main town.  Cabicungan still a part of Pamplona River bank towards the Centro was believed to have grown plenty of lily plants called “bacung” that’s why early inhabitants called it Cabicungan. Don Juan Salcedo first landed at Cabicungan in 1572.

               Later the place where most people flocked became the seat of gobernadorcillo and the church became the center now Centro.  San Juan now became a barangay where lesser people reside.

               In short, San Juan was named after San Nepomoceno who happened to come out when their Patron Saint was chosen.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: 16th day of May

Dialect: Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Fishing

Brgy Captain: LEILA EDUARTE

Barangay Councilors: Alejandro Nicolas, Wreylyn Layugan, Jojee Guddaran, Cornelio Hernandez, Jowarsky Orus, Pelagio Bautista, Ma. Farah Zenaida Maquiraya

Barangay Secretary: Janet Arinabo

Barangay Treasurer: Dorothy Birion

Day Care Worker: Leilanie Arinabo

The First Settlers

               The earliest settler of Pimpila formerly barrio of the town Abulug(Suquiran) were marcos Urenia Rafael Cardenas, Crixpulo Tacata, Manuel Mallabo, certain Toralba, Lagoran and Marganillo who were then in search of the mean of livelihood. The area then was still lonely and the town of Pamplona was still the only place accessible to land transportation.  From the town of Pamplona, the people can only reach the area by hiking through trails, ride on wooden cart locally known as “takuli” drawn by a  carabao or a cow or ride on bankas. It is claimed that their oil lamps while hiking from the town to the area consumed by a bottle of coconut oil.

               So great was the hardship that the people endured especially during rainy season when trails become muddy and slippery. But these hardships did not least diminish the persistent of the early settlers who began clearing wide tracks of land, which they panted it with vegetables, palay, and other crops. The beautiful harvest made the settlers lives comfortable. Because of these, they cleared the area and become wider and wider with the passage of time.

               How the Pimpila Got its Name

               There was a place in the area which was chosen as the site where people had their gathering and dances. Anybody bound to the place when asked where he was going would customarily answer “iddiay pagpepempilan” meaning a place where couples can share intimate moments. The place was soon known as Pimpila.

               As the time passed and other tribes soon settled in the area. Because of the presence of the different tribes, the once peaceful place became troublesome and disapprovements between and among the different tribes was erupted every now and then. They considered that the wrong connotation of the barangay was mainly the source of conflict so,  they thought of changing its name for thud purpose, the barangay officials passed a resolution, which affected the change of the name from Pimpila to Sta. Cruz. And from then on, changes were seen, most notable of which were progress and development.

               Source of Livelihood

               The people lived by farming, fishing, poultry and livestock raising. The barrio boosted with natural resources like nipa where “pingngot”(nipa shingles) and “layaw” (nipa wine). Fresh water like “dalag”(mudfish). “paltat” (catfish) and other species of fish crabs and shrimps are also abundant from the rivers and swamps in the barangay.

               The Political and Economic Crises

               There was a time when the barangay was in trouble with insurgency. One of the sitios was infiltrated by the Peaople’s Army. That is why the resident migrated to the other Barangays. Livelihood was greatly affected because the people were not able to till their farms. For several years, sitio Carallan had in residents and somehow, few of the residents returned to their homes after the insurgency.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: May 14-15/ San Isidro Labrador

Dialect: Ilokano, Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Poultry and Livestock raising, Fishing

Brgy Captain: FERDINAND PEREZ

Barangay Councilors: Edgar Talosig, Romulo Alipio Jr., Emerito Bernardez, Edward Amuyunm, Fermin Magno, Eddie Amayun,   Leticia Beliganio

Barangay Treasurer: Teresita Balagso

Barangay Secretary: Danilo Buduan

Day Care Worker: Maria Zenaida Buduan

Long time ago, there was a man named Bayot who lived in Malagababi mountain.  He was a powerful man and a good leader too.

               During those days, people believed in superstitions. They seemed to understand the sounds of animals creeping from the trees as well as the sound of the wind blowing from different directions.

               One day Bayot decided to go out from the mountain to find his luck for a better place to live in.  Although the way had been so dangerous he still traveled using a boat and followed the stream until he landed in Alugi, a creek which is a part of the place wherein he found out a family with a beautiful daughter named Elena, he lived with them and courted Elena.  Later they became sweethearts.

               Bayot wanted to marry Elena as soon as possible.  He made a promise that he would marry Elena upon returning and make that place a town.

               Soon he was ready to go downstream again to marry Elena.  As he traveled, he noticed a sign of good luck in the riverbanks of “PIGO”.  He stopped there and decided to spend his night and rest.  When he was about to continue his journey he was enchanted with the refreshing breeze of the river, the sweet singing birds and the joyful dancing of trees around him.  He was very happy, because of his belief that all these things mean good luck.  He changed and made up his mind.

               Immediately, he held his spear and stuck it to the ground and in loud voice he said:  I will make this place a town and I will call it Pamplona.

               Bayot forgot his promise to Elena as well as Alugi.  His first choice to become town.  Elena waited so long but Bayot never returned, with broken heart, she got sick and died.  People believed that she died because a promise which she held in her heart was never fulfilled.

               Her story had been retold so many times so “Tabba” was never forgotten from then, they called the place “Tabba” which means promise.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: March 19

Dialect: Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Poultry and Livestock raising, Fishing, Nipa wine making, Nipa Shingle making

Brgy Captain: ALEJANDRO CARABBAY SR.

Baranggay Councilors: Alenlief Duyor, Bonifacio Sibayan, Pacifico Siriban Jr., Placido Suarez Sr., Sebastian Bautista, Rennel Kenneth Arlante

Baranggay Treasurer: Maritess Arinabo

Barangay Secretary: Marie Claire Mallabo

Day Care Worker: Marie Rose Lucero

In the early years, 1900 history states there were only two towns at the western side of Cagayan River, named Abulug and Pamplona.  The inhabitants of this municipality were purely Ibanag people.  The boundaries lies on the sea shore of aggavattayan, and on the south, at the left side just after the bridge from Barangay Bagu, it is clear that the last barrios of Abulug are Tupanna and Pimpila.  The means of transportation during those days were by land, from Ilocos to Bidduang, by  water, from Bidduang to Abulug, and by riding trucks to Linao where you will cross Cagayan River to Aparri through motor boat, most students from Tupanna took their studies in Centro Abulug taking advantage of the accessible transportation.  Abulug was a commercial town where big stores of Japanese and Chinese and many other flocked.  Products from NEWS were sold at the market twice a week, Wednesday and Sunday.  Formerly, Annabatan was a part whose sailboats come in and out.  It was named by its residence as such because it is a place of fishing by the use of spear and bow and arrow. As called by the Ibanag, it was not long that navigators found this port a dead end (Tupac as Ibanag called) it was in this course, the residence renamed Annabatan to Tupanna.  The only source of income of the people is Tuba from the Nipa Sup. This Tuba when cooked becomes wine; there were two major players in this industry then, LAGRANJA and LA ESTRELLA.  This was the big competition between this two players, these product was transport to Aparri by the owner for general merchandize, some of the constituents buy coconut and beatlenuts to be sold at Aparri on their trip back home. They buy bail of tobacco for the old men to be retail at their store.  This is the only way they were survive, the residents celebrate their devotion to God Almighty, and their Patron Saints is San Roque yearly and many visitor come to attend to their Fiesta.  There were only two heads in the barrio headed by a Tinyente Del Barrio, the residence were very cooperative especially in obeying commands of the Civic Brigider Brigido Eduarte who collect contribution to finance the celebration of Fiesta.  Annually August 16, beauty pageants were held, money contest for Ms. Tupanna, Ms. Infantile and Mrs. Tupanna contest.  A social dance is to be held to raise fund to defray expenses such as prizes for games like basketball, boat raising and floating parade, orchestra were hired going around the barrio to wake up everybody to attend the most gradual mass as the people beliefs.  And because of the growth of population, Pamplona was divided into Claveria, Sanchez Mira and Sta. Praxedes, and Abulug was subdivided into Ballesteros and Allacapan.  The outcome is a dispute between the two original towns.  Pamplona wants to extend its boundaries headed by an employee of the Philippine Senate, Eustaquio Aquino, and on the different side, A Board member of Cagayan, Claro Sabbun headed Abulug, in the year 1930 a decision was release turning Tupanna and Pimpila a part of Pamplona.  The boundary change was from the part of Pinili, taking Cabayu creek to Nasiloc up to Muru, the old part, at the same year the trip via Patapat road.

Patronal Fiesta/ Foundation Days: August 16

Dialect: Ibanag

Source of Livelihood: Farming, Poultry and Livestock raising, Fishing, Nipa wine making, Nipa Shingle making

Brgy Captain: JULIAN BELTRAN

Barangay Councilors: Honesto Dalluag, Simplicio Mappala, Florentino Lagundino Jr., Jonathan Tipunu, Freddie De Guzman, Robert Eduarte, Rodel Guillermo

Barangay Treasurer: Gaudelin Estorquia

Barangay Secretary: Marlon Catamio

Day Care Worker: Melba Dalluag

The place now known as Gattu was once a thickly forested area lying at the foot of the mountain ranges. The first inhabitants of the place were nomadic people who earned their living by hunting the wild animals, which were abundant in the area. These trained dogs, though docile were ferocious and were trained to chase wild animals.

One day, a stranger strayed into the area. The hunting dogs, unused to the presence of strangers began barking ferociously at the stranger. Their owner, noticing the commotion, began pacifying his dogs, calling out to them. “Tu, tu, tu!!!”.

The stranger fearful for his life, went away muttering “tu, tu, tu”. From then on, people began to call the place “Tu”. With the passing of time, the name soon evolved to Gattu, the name which the Barangay is known today.

Barangay Captain: Florentina Daguna

Barangay Councilors: Lino Segundo, Regie Segundo, Robert Pagarigan, Recy Segundo, Nancy Rodriguez, Lowie Irona,    Agnes Irona

Barangay Secretary: Arsenio Ayad

Barangay Treasurer: Teodoro Dancil Jr.

Day Care Worker: Virginia Pagarigan

adminBarangay Portfolio